T he red brick building that houses Kremer Funeral Home was built in 1910 and 1911 at the West end of the town of Benson on the corner of Cottner Avenue and Mayne Street (now 63rd and Maple). The building was dedicated as the Benson Methodist Episcopal Church on May 29, 1911. The building was built to replace the old church which was constructed in 1892. The Benson Methodist Episcoal Church merged with the Walnut Hill Methodist Episcopal Church and the Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church in 1930 to form St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church, and they moved to their present location at 54th and Corby in 1931. When the building was a church the sanctuary was on the second floor with a large semicircular stairway on the outside of the building at the Southeast corner.
Fred and Helen Kremer purchased the building in 1935 from St. Paul Methodist, and converted the building by removing the outside stairs, adding a ground floor entrance, and by making the ground floor the main chapel. The announcement of the formal opening of the Kremer Funeral Home on Sunday, June 7th, 1936 appeared in the Omaha Bee-News.
The stained glass windows in the building still gives the building the appearance of a church.